*Corona Virus – in these extenuating circumstances, for the sake of our rescue animals, we have had to make the decision to revise our cancellation policy as follows :-
If your holiday is less than 8 weeks away, no refund is given, as per our usual policy but we can provide an invoice for your insurance company.
If your holiday date is more than 8 weeks ahead , if paid in full to take advantage of a discount, we would normally offer a refund less the 20% deposit. Due to the crippling effects of the virus to the holiday industry, and being such a small family business, with our animals to care for, and so many people needing to cancel, we cannot now offer a refund, but instead , will offer alternative dates to suit you, for a similar season, to the same value. (or alternatively we can provide an invoice for your holiday insurance).
We appreciate your understanding in this matter
To make a booking enquiry please email using the address below:
or ring June or Clive on:
(0034) 660 294 457
*We always answer emails quickly – If you don’t hear back from us within 2 hours, please check your spam folder and if there is no reply email again as occasionally emails can go missing.
Please let us know if you have any special requirements or anything you would like us to find out for you, regarding your plans during your stay.